Our Strategic Pillars
Research on knowledge gaps
We conduct research to fill knowledge gaps on:
- nature and state of African borders
- innovative methods of settling border disputes
- enhancing border security
- promoting cross-border cooperation
Capacity building and training
We enhance the capacities of key stakeholders by:
- Designing needs assessment tools
- Conducting needs assessments
- Designing training curricula
- Conducting training
Documentation and Resource Centre
We collect and store knowledge on African borders in our Documentation and Resource Centre, which is a one-stop, by:
- Retrieval of historical records from archives
- Creation of a Borderpedia
- Dissemination of knowledge on African borders electronically and through publications
We reach out to and forge partnership other stakeholders with common interest in promoting peaceful and prosperous borders in Africa by jointly:
- Engaging in research
- Hosting public events
- Planning and undertaking activities
- Identifying opportunities
- Collaborating and coordinating with other stakeholders in border issues
- Creating and maintaining a network of practitioners and researchers
We work collaboratively with governments, international organisations, regional organisations, and other stakeholders to enhance continental and regional integration by:
- Providing expert advise and designing strategies for joint use of trans-boundary natural resources, maintenance of soft borders, promotion of community-sensitive border management, and peaceful settlement of border disputes
- Promoting norms, instruments, strategies, policies, and actions on borders issue
What We Specialize In
- Providing technical expertise to reaffirm boundaries.
- Retrieving historical and other records on African boundaries.
- Researching borders and designing strategies for preventing and settling dispute.
- Drawing up legal frameworks and agreements on borders.
- Training border management personnel.
- Mapping trans-boundary natural resources and designing strategies for joint use and management.
- Assessing capacities to maintain boundaries and manage borders.
- Designing approaches for community-sensitive border management and enhancing livelihoods of border communities.